LEVEL II – Expert course
Aetiology of autism and comorbid conditions
a) Epidemiology of autism spectrum disorder.
b) Risk factors.
c) Autism genetics.
d) Neurobiological basis of autism.
e) Autism and comorbidities.
- Understand and explain changing epidemiology of autism spectrum disorder.
- Understand a complex interplay between genetic and environmental risk factors.
- Know main genetic and neurobiological explanatory models of autism spectrum disorder.
- Describe and interpret the most frequent comorbid conditions associated with autism.
- Chen, B. C. et al. Treatment of Lesch–Nyhan disease with S adenosylmethionine: experience with five young Malaysians, including a girl. Brain Dev. 36, 593–600 (2014).
- Curatolo, P., et al. (2004). Autism in tuberous sclerosis. Eur J PaediatrNeurol 8:327-332.
- DSM-5 criteria
- Glick, N. Dramatic reduction in self-injury in Lesch–Nyhan disease following S adenosylmethionine administration. J. Inherit. Metab. Dis. 29, 687 (2006).
- Hagberg B (1995) Rett syndrome: clinical peculiarities and biological mysteries. ActaPaediatr 84:971-976.
- Koukoui SD, Chaudhuri A (2007) Neuroanatomical, molecular genetics, and behavioral correlates of fragile X syndrome. Brain Res Rev 53:27-38.
- Lyall, K., et al. (2017). The changing epidemiology of autism spectrum disorders. Annual Review of Public Health, 38, 81-102.
- Matson, J. L., &Sturmey, P. (Eds.). (2011). International handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Moreno-De Luca, D., et al. (2010). Deletion 17q12 is a recurrent copy number variant that confers high risk of autism and schizophrenia. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 87, 618–630.
- Moreno-De Luca, D. et al. (2012). Using large clinical data sets to infer pathogenicity for rare copy number variants in autism cohorts. Mol. Psychiatry 18, 1090–1095.
- Parellada, M., et al. (2014). The neurobiology of autism spectrum disorders. European Psychiatry, 29(1), 11-19.
- Phelan, K. & McDermid, H. E. (2012). The 22q13.3 deletion syndrome (Phelan–McDermid syndrome). Mol. Syndromol. 2, 186–201.
- Radoeva, P.D., et al. (2014). Association between autism spectrum disorder in individuals with velocardiofacial (22q11.2 deletion) syndrome and PRODH and COMT genotypes. Psychiatr Genet 24:269-272.
- Veltman, M.W., et al. (2005). Autism spectrum disorders in Prader-Willi and Angelman syndromes: a systematic review. Psychiatr Genet 15: 243-254.
- Vorstman, J. A., et al. (2017). Autism genetics: opportunities and challenges for clinical translation. Nature Reviews Genetics.
- Woodman, A. C., et al. (2016). Trajectories of internalizing and externalizing symptoms among adults with autism spectrum disorders. Development and Psychopathology, 28(2), 565-581.
The trainee should complete four theoretical-practical activities and then complete a self-evaluation questionnaire consisting of 20 questions.
It is considered that the trainee was successfully completed the module if he realized all the activities envisaged and gave at least 75% of the correct answers on the evaluation test.